Tuesday, September 29, 2020

reminder about grades in AERIES

 

Hi. I'm putting grades in AERIES per our previous conversations. I know I've explained this several times already, but I also know that sometimes people forget, or get distracted, or just can't help worshipping the Gods of Grades online, so...

To be absolutely clear:

  • The grades in AERIES will show up every 2 weeks as a "0" or a "10"
  • To earn a 10, all you have to do is:
    • Publish 3 posts on your course blog
    • Publish 1 set of 3 journal entries on your course blog (reminder: you write your daily journal entries in your spiral/composition notebook, you will need to follow the guide here to scan and post them on your blog)
    • Attend or watch our weekly Zoom call
    • Claim "did" it for your work on your period's sheet
  • If you earn a "10" for each two week period this semester, you are guaranteed a grade of C- or above on your semester report card
  • If you do not complete work in time to qualify for a "10," don't give up. Late work matters - you are still building your understanding and practicing your skill. the AERIES grade does not accurately reflect your learning (see below), so it will not be the dominant factor in your final grade. Having said that, I encourage every student to GTD (Get Things Done) on time because I believe in keeping our commitments and being organized. Besides, when the work builds up, it becomes impossible to complete with quality.
  • PLEASE REMEMBER: I will be entering the progress report card and final semester grades by hand, the way I always do. This course is mine, not AERIES, so keep in mind that "0" and "10" say nothing about how well you are understanding concepts, building skills, or doing anything, really, except showing up, claiming credit, and posting the bare minimum on your blog. The feedback that you and I share about what we read and write is the important element in documenting your improvement and your proficiency -- and that will be the basis for your final grade in the course. As always, if you or your parents/guardians/siblings/pets have any questions, please email me or schedule a meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

for the win(ter break)

" Why should I do this? He's not even gonna be our teacher next year! " Yeah. And I'm not getting paid to post this on Chr...